If you have a bony bump near the bottom joint of your big toe, it is probably a bunion.
Left untreated, bunions can grow larger, causing foot pain that may interfere with your ability to walk.
The experienced podiatrists at North County Foot & Ankle Specialists in Escondido, CA, can reduce or eliminate painful bunion symptoms...
Before and After Bunion Treatment
What Is a Bunion?
- Bunions are deformities formed when your front foot bones become misaligned, a condition known as hallux valgus.
- The misaligned bones make the top half of your big toe point inward toward your second toe.
- Tendons then tighten, pulling the toe further inward.
- This causes the bottom joint of your big toe to bulge outward. The bulge is the actual bunion.
- Factors such as tight shoes, arthritis, toe injuries, foot injuries, or birth defects can cause bunions to grow.
Suffering from Bunion Pain? Schedule a Bunion Consultation Now
Dr. Jason Morris and his esteemed colleagues, Drs. Travis Westermeyer and Avanti Redkar, are leading foot and ankle specialists. An appointment at our Escondido, CA, practice can put you on the path to a life free of toe, ankle, and foot pain when you walk, jog, or play sports.
Our board-certified doctors offer advanced non-surgical and surgical solutions to a variety of foot and ankle problems, including bunions.
Schedule a consultation today using our simple online form or by calling us. Our Escondido practice is located about 35 minutes north of downtown San Diego, CA.
5-Stars for Our Escondido, CA, Doctors
Had many severe problems with my feet that needed surgery. Dr Westermeyer took care of me every time and the service staff made me feel right at home. He's a specialist for a reason, he knows his stuff when it comes to a part of our body we often take for granted.View On Google
Great front office staff. Doc was super friendly. Everyone was skilled and professional.View On Google
Why Should I Get Bunion Treatment?
Without treatment, the pain in your toe can get worse and the bunion can get larger. Painful swelling in the balls of your feet can occur as well as a condition called hammertoe, in which your second toe is bent out of shape by your misaligned big toe. Receiving bunion treatment at our Escondido, CA, practice can stop these uncomfortable conditions from happening.
Choose Us to Relieve Your Bunion Pain
- Board-certified Podiatrists
- Certification means our three doctors passed extremely difficult exams given by a medical board of their peers. They underwent years of training and education in podiatric medicine to achieve this prestigious distinction. Not all foot doctors do the same.
- Specialized Knowledge
- Our doctors have much more foot and ankle knowledge than general physicians.
- Drs. Morris, Westermeyer, and Redkar have over five decades of combined experience providing superior foot and ankle care.
- Personalized Care
- Our practice puts our patients first. Treatment plans will be customized to your individual medical needs.
- Insurance Accepted
- Our practice accepts all major PPO and HMO plans, including Medicare. If you are uninsured, we will work with your budget to make the treatment you need as affordable as possible.
Solutions for Bunion Pain
Our hand-made orthotics, worn in your shoes, are molded to the exact shape of your foot, correcting bone misalignments and relieving pain much better than pre-packaged, store-bought insoles.
Dr. Morris performs state-of-the-art triplanar correction surgery using 3-D digital imaging and using a minimal incision approach. This procedure precisely rotates misaligned big toe bones back into place. A metal plate is then attached to the bones to keep them that way. Dr. Morris focuses on performing bunion surgery correctly the first time so that the deformities don't recur.
Dr. Morris may recommend both surgery and custom orthotics to keep your foot pain-free and your bunion from growing back.
Why Contact North County Foot & Ankle Specialists?
"Our caring physicians treat all aspects of foot and ankle pathology with advanced procedures and a 'patient first' approach." Dr. Jason Morris
Who Develops More Bunions: Men or Women?
The weight of your body forcibly pushes your toes forward into the shoe's tight, narrow front space, which can cause bone misalignment.
Extra pregnancy weight can cause flat feet, which may make your feet roll inward while walking. This can move big toe bones out of alignment.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where Do You Perform Surgery?
Dr. Morris mainly uses local surgery centers in San Diego, CA, which can minimize patient costs. Some minor procedures can be completed on-site at our Escondido office.
I'm Afraid of Pain. Does Bunion Treatment Hurt?
If surgery is needed, local or general anesthesia will keep you comfortable and pain-free.