If you have a bony bump near the bottom joint of your big toe, it is probably a bunion.
Left untreated, bunions can grow larger, causing foot pain that may interfere with your ability to walk.
The experienced podiatrists at North County Foot & Ankle Specialists in Escondido, CA, can reduce or eliminate painful bunion symptoms...
Before and After Bunion Treatment
What Is a Bunion?
- Bunions are deformities formed when your front foot bones become misaligned, a condition known as hallux valgus.
- The misaligned bones make the top half of your big toe point inward toward your second toe.
- Tendons then tighten, pulling the toe further inward.
- This causes the bottom joint of your big toe to bulge outward. The bulge is the actual bunion.
- Factors such as tight shoes, arthritis, toe injuries, foot injuries, or birth defects can cause bunions to grow.
Suffering from Bunion Pain? Schedule a Bunion Consultation Now
Dr. Jason Morris and his esteemed colleague, Dr. Avanti Redkar, are leading foot and ankle specialists. An appointment at our Escondido, CA, practice can put you on the path to a life free of toe, ankle, and foot pain when you walk, jog, or play sports.
Our board-certified doctors offer advanced non-surgical and surgical solutions to a variety of foot and ankle problems, including bunions.
Schedule a consultation today using our simple online form or by calling us. Our Escondido practice is located about 35 minutes north of downtown San Diego, CA.
5-Stars for Our Escondido, CA, Doctors
While vacationing in Escondido, I began experiencing sharp pains in my right foot. I thought about dealing with the discomfort until I returned home, but the pain became unbearable. I was not too familiar with the area, so I did the best research I could online trying to determine where to schedule my appointment. I discovered North County Foot & Ankle and could not have been more pleased with the results. Not only were they able to schedule me for a same-day appointment, but I was seen by Dr. Morris at the time of my appointment (no delays!). The facilities were welcoming and I was warmly greeted at the office by their staff. Dr. Morris was able to give me a confident diagnosis and assure me it would not be long before I could go hiking again. I really enjoyed my experience and would only wish I did not have to travel out of town to see Dr. Morris again.View on Google
I have flat feet and have suffered from plantar fasciitis for years. I finally decided to seek help after the pain in both feet became excruciating to walk and stand. I was prescribed orthotics from a previous podiatrist and felt no relief. *Enter North County Foot & Ankle Specialists here* After meeting Dr. Avanti Redkar and complaining to her about my issues, she knew exactly what I needed. She immediately got me in for treatment and walked me through everything I would need to do to ensure I had successful long term effects. For the first time in over 20 years, I wake up and walk completely pain free. I had become so accustomed to living with the pain, I never imagined my life without it, until now. My only regret is that I didn't find Dr. Redkar sooner!View on Google
Why Should I Get Bunion Treatment?
Without treatment, the pain in your toe can get worse and the bunion can get larger. Painful swelling in the balls of your feet can occur as well as a condition called hammertoe, in which your second toe is bent out of shape by your misaligned big toe. Receiving bunion treatment at our Escondido, CA, practice can stop these uncomfortable conditions from happening.
Choose Us to Relieve Your Bunion Pain
- Board-certified Podiatrists
- Certification means our three doctors passed extremely difficult exams given by a medical board of their peers. They underwent years of training and education in podiatric medicine to achieve this prestigious distinction. Not all foot doctors do the same.
- Specialized Knowledge
- Our doctors have much more foot and ankle knowledge than general physicians.
- Drs. Morris and Redkar have over five decades of combined experience providing superior foot and ankle care.
- Personalized Care
- Our practice puts our patients first. Treatment plans will be customized to your individual medical needs.
- Insurance Accepted
- Our practice accepts all major PPO and HMO plans, including Medicare. If you are uninsured, we will work with your budget to make the treatment you need as affordable as possible.
Solutions for Bunion Pain
Our hand-made orthotics, worn in your shoes, are molded to the exact shape of your foot, correcting bone misalignments and relieving pain much better than pre-packaged, store-bought insoles.
We perform state-of-the-art triplanar correction surgery using 3-D digital imaging and using a minimal incision approach. This procedure precisely rotates misaligned big toe bones back into place. A metal plate is then attached to the bones to keep them that way. Dr. Morris and Dr. Redkar focus on performing bunion surgery correctly the first time so that the deformities don't recur.
Dr. Morris and Dr. Redkar may recommend both surgery and custom orthotics to keep your foot pain-free and your bunion from growing back.
Why Contact North County Foot & Ankle Specialists?
"Our caring physicians treat all aspects of foot and ankle pathology with advanced procedures and a 'patient first' approach." Dr. Jason Morris
Who Develops More Bunions: Men or Women?
The weight of your body forcibly pushes your toes forward into the shoe's tight, narrow front space, which can cause bone misalignment.
Extra pregnancy weight can cause flat feet, which may make your feet roll inward while walking. This can move big toe bones out of alignment.
Frequently Asked Questions
I'm Afraid of Pain. Does Bunion Treatment Hurt?
If surgery is needed, local or general anesthesia will keep you comfortable and pain-free.