Sudden flare ups of burning pain and swelling of the big toe or another joint can be caused by a common form of arthritis known as gout.
The board-certified podiatrists of North Country Foot & Ankle Specialists use advanced tools to treat gout attacks.
Why should you contact our Escondido, CA, podiatry practice when fiery pain and swelling suddenly affects your big toe or another joint?
Drs. Jason Morris and Travis Westermeyer are both board-certified, meaning they have undergone years of additional specialized education and training that many foot and ankle specialists do not have. They also were required to pass an extremely difficult exam given by a board of distinguished experts in their field. In essence, our Escondido, CA, area doctors are at the top of their profession when it comes to diagnosing and treating foot and ankle related conditions such as gout.
What Causes Gout?
- A rise in the uric acid level in your bloodstream is responsible for sudden gout attacks. If your kidneys cannot process this abundance of uric acid, sharp dagger-like crystals can form and build up in your joints, especially your big toe.
- Your uric acid level can rise if you consume too much red meat or liver, sugary or alcoholic beverages, or seafood that is rich in a natural substance called purine (tuna, trout, scallops, etc.)
- Uric acid levels can also rise if you are overweight, have high blood pressure or kidney disease, or have a family history of gout.
- Men tend to develop gout more often than women as men usually have a higher level of uric acid. Women normally have low uric acid levels until after menopause, when the uric acid in their bloodstream begins to rise.
- Certain medications that treat high blood pressure, kidney disease, anti-rejection drugs for organ transplant patients, or diuretics can cause too much uric acid in your body.
- If left untreated, excess uric acid and its associated crystals can cause kidney stones, destroy joints, and create sensitive nodules on your feet and ankles.
Before and After Gout Treatment
Suffering from Intense, Sudden Joint Pain? Contact Us for a Gout Consultation
Dr. Morris and Dr. Westermeyer have over 50 years of combined, top-grade experience treating foot and ankle issues like gout. They will use advanced, specific diagnostic testing to determine if gout is causing your discomfort, after which an individualized non-surgical treatment plan can be put in place.
Gout attacks can be incredibly painful. Don't suffer. Contact our patient-friendly Escondido, CA, practice as soon as a flare up occurs. Use our simple online form or call us right away. Our doctors are not afraid to go toe to toe with this serious, life-affecting medical condition.
A 5-Star Review for Our Escondido, CA, Practice
"Dr Travis Westermeyer is a straight shooter type of Doctor. He won't sugar coat it. He will tell you exactly what you are up against, and what needs to be done to get you through it. He has greatly helped me over the years. The office and staff are friendly and professional. He is a credit to his profession, I wish there were more Doctors like him out there." Jeff L - 2020
Four Symptoms of a Gout Attack
Prolonged Joint Pain
Gout attacks can cause severe discomfort for up to 12 hours. It may take several days or weeks for the pain to completely vanish.
The affected joint may swell and feel like it is on fire. If this happens to your big toe, walking may become difficult.
As pain and swelling grows, you may develop limited mobility in the affected joint.
If you develop kidney stones, which are crystallized masses of uric acid, it could mean that a gout attack triggered by too much uric acid buildup is about to occur.
Is Gout a Common Condition?
Gout used to be called "the disease of kings," because royalty in days of old often developed it due to their extravagant, rich diets and massive alcohol consumption. In reality, though, anyone can suffer an attack of gout caused by excessive uric acid in the bloodstream.
*According to Medscape
More 5-Star Reviews from Satisfied Patients
Had many severe problems with my feet that needed surgery. Dr Westermeyer took care of me every time and the service staff made me feel right at home. He's a specialist for a reason, he knows his stuff when it comes to a part of our body we often take for granted.View On Google
I am so grateful to Dr. Westermeyer. I had my left foot totally reconstructed and a major bunyonectomy on my right foot and I have nothing but great things to say about Dr. Westermeyer and his staff. My surgery's have been life changing...I am so grateful that Dr.Westermeyer was my choice.View On Google
Cost and Insurance
- Since gout is a medical condition, treatment will most likely be covered by insurance. Our Escondido, CA, practice accepts most major PPOs and HMOs.
- Contact our practice for exact price quotes for gout treatments. Should out-of-pocket costs occur, our warm and friendly staff will do everything they can to make treatment as affordable as possible. We value patients over profits.